Permission

Chuck0 chuck at mutualaid.org
Sun Feb 16 09:39:06 PST 2003

Michael Pollak wrote:
> It will be interesting to see what happens as far as future permits for
> marches in New York are concerned. It was clear to anyone who was there
> that the cops would have had 10 times less trouble if they'd let us march
> down First Avenue (while the march for its part would have been many times
> bigger in official numbers, fwiw.) The original justification for not
> allowing it has to do with controlling terrorist threats, which clearly
> this only worse; god forbid they'd had to respond to something through
> this mess. A one block wide long thin ribbon with side streets clear
> is clearly much easier to intervene and to disperse in an emergency.
>
> So you'd think logically they realize they'd made a mistake, reverse their
> policy and issue a permit for the next one. But I personally hope they
> don't. I'm completely convinced Chuck0's right. This was 10 times more
> fun and effective. And it spread the idea that taking over the streets
> can feel warm and communal, like a mosh pit. If they refuse the next one,
> I think they'll get even more people next time and even more of a tie up.
> This feeder idea works great.

Hey, all anybody needs to do is look at the dozens of photos on my website from protests around the world. IThe turnout was so big that you don't see any evidence of police in most of the pictures. The police have no excuse to do what they did in NYC yesterday.

At the same time, we need to challenge American activists who continue to seek permits for protests. What they need to understand is that if you have enough people at your event, the police can't do much. They won't do anything if there are families and kids present. Activists need to understand that the police fear negative publicity more than they fear a crowd getting out of control.

I think the big show of police control yesterday in New York City is part and aprcel of this "terrorist threat" hysteria that the U.S. government needs to promote to keep the American population under control. We need to focus more of our efforts on mocking this hysteria and the government's transparent manipulation of the population.

This means that our next targets have to be CNN, NPR, the Washington Post, and all the TV stations and media outlets that faciliate Bush regime plans. They can't have their duct tape spectacle without the help of obedient media who manufacture consent.

We're having a nice blizzard today! Duct tape won't help anything today!

Chuck0

------------------------------------------------------------ Personal homepage -> http://chuck.mahost.org/ Infoshop.org -> http://www.infoshop.org/ MutualAid.org -> http://www.mutualaid.org/ Alternative Press Review -> http://www.altpr.org/ Practical Anarchy Online -> http://www.practicalanarchy.org/ Anarchy: AJODA -> http://www.anarchymag.org/

"The state can't give you free speech, and the state can't take it away. You're born with it, like your eyes, like your ears. Freedom is something you assume, then you wait for someone to try to take it away. The degree to which you resist is the degree to which you are free..." ---Utah Phillips