Permission

Michael Pollak mpollak at panix.com
Sun Feb 16 01:42:03 PST 2003

It will be interesting to see what happens as far as future permits for marches in New York are concerned. It was clear to anyone who was there that the cops would have had 10 times less trouble if they'd let us march down First Avenue (while the march for its part would have been many times bigger in official numbers, fwiw.) The original justification for not allowing it has to do with controlling terrorist threats, which clearly this only worse; god forbid they'd had to respond to something through this mess. A one block wide long thin ribbon with side streets clear is clearly much easier to intervene and to disperse in an emergency.

So you'd think logically they realize they'd made a mistake, reverse their policy and issue a permit for the next one. But I personally hope they don't. I'm completely convinced Chuck0's right. This was 10 times more fun and effective. And it spread the idea that taking over the streets can feel warm and communal, like a mosh pit. If they refuse the next one, I think they'll get even more people next time and even more of a tie up. This feeder idea works great.

Michael