NYC demonstration

Chris Burford cburford at gn.apc.org
Sun Feb 16 13:42:41 PST 2003

It helped in London having the mayor in support of and speaking at the demonstration. Police were arkward in that lots of access roads were cordoned off and it was necessary to walk round a long way to get to the demonstration. But his appeared to be all part of a plan agreed with the organisers to manage safety and numbers. And we were allowed to march from A to B.

It made it much easier for childen and families to take part.

>From: soil ride (solrde at msn.com)
>Date: Sun Feb 16 2003 - 14:09:35 EST
>

>Just like to mention word on the brutality of the police-especially those on
>horseback: insanely vicious. If anyone was near 52nd and 3rd then you know
>what I am talking about-lines of policeman on horseback just rushing crowds
>of people without warning. Most of the demonstrators never made it to the
>rally point as those streets were being blocked by police...and for them,
>that was the whole point. I can't even begin to describe how many people
>were there-only from the reports from other organizations and activists...

Chris Burford

London