mighty in pink

JBrown72073 at cs.com JBrown72073 at cs.com
Sun Feb 16 15:23:14 PST 2003

>The Nation - March 3, 2003
>Mighty in Pink
>
>by LIZA FEATHERSTONE
>
>It's not easy to be warm and fashionable at the same time," smiled
>Nina Human of Atlanta, who, ensconced in a billowing pink scarf, was
>succeeding admirably. It was a sunless late afternoon in January, and
>Human was at the Women's Peace Vigil in front of the White House,
>protesting the Bush Administration's impending war on Iraq.

Good going, esp. quoting NOW. They normally get short shrift in the Nation. Unfortunately the Pacifica coverage (via Free Speech TV) of the march whapped the interview with Medea Benjamin (re: Code Pink) midsentence. I missed the earlier coverage to demonstrate here.

I worry about the slightly essentialist tinge of Code Pink because it can suggest that the problem at the top is testosterone rather than money and power grubbing. After all, it's not like a hormonally-charged Bush-Rumsfeld dyad will be out there hacking people's heads off personally. They somehow made sure they weren't in that call-up even when they were of head-hacking age. Happily, the claim to female peacefulness (and violent male tendencies) seems to be considerably reduced from fifteen years ago when the 'women's peace movement' would regularly make Caldicott-like claims to womb-authority.

Caldicott I heard quoted on the radio this morning and she recalled for me some of the more vivid characterizations of Lerner on this list, was it Budge who called him a pious fuckwit? She's mostly a scolding one.

Jenny Brown