Lerner (presumably) speaks out

Nathan Newman nathanne at nathannewman.org
Mon Feb 17 09:15:12 PST 2003

----- Original Message ----- From: <loupaulsen at attbi.com>

Nathan Newman wrote:
> Let's be clear in the double standard involved.
-Yes, by all means, let's! The double standard is that when UFPJ declined to -nominate someone who attacked ANSWER falsely as anti-semitic, you attack them -for us and bait me about this policy. But if a rally organizer declined to -nominate someone from WWP to speak in deference to Democratic officeholders on -the stage, you would defend that policy.

No, I would prefer that the rally organizers blocked a WWP speaker because you folks defend Chinese fascist regimes that suppress trade unions and put dissidents in slave labor camps. And that you are the equivalent of Holocaust-deniers in pretending mass rape and murder of civilians was not used by the Serbian regime as a weapon of war. And that you worship a North Korean regime that has created a state to rival 1984 and starved the population through its insane policies.

That too many progressive groups wait for pressure from more moderate forces to exclude the WWP is to their discredit. The WWP should be excluded from rallies not because they attack other groups politics but because their own politics are so henious. I wouldn't care if the KKK was against the war on Iraq; I'd want them excluded from the platform as well.

Nathan Newman Vice President, NYC National Lawyers Guild Former National Vice President (Note my views do not reflect those of the NLG national leadership)