Straws in the wind?

Doug Henwood dhenwood at panix.com
Mon Feb 17 11:09:51 PST 2003

Mirror (London) - February 17, 2003

By Naveed Raja

Jack Straw today conceded that the enormity [sic] of the anti-war protests at the weekend made it "very difficult" to launch an invasion of Iraq.

The Foreign Secretary acknowledged the sheer size and strength of feeling against a potentially devastating new Gulf war.

He told the BBC: "It was a very, very large demonstration, probably the largest one we've seen in our recent democratic history in London. We have to take account of public opinion."

When asked if the government could start a war without public backing, Straw said it would be "very difficult indeed in those circumstances".

He said: "It's patently more straightforward for governments to take a country to war, to military action, if they've palpably got the whole of the population behind them than if not."

His words were a marked contrast to the confrontational rhetoric used by Tony Blair on Saturday. He claimed the 1.5million-plus protestors would have "blood on their hands" if they stopped military action.

Blair's words marked a shift of emphasis towards the "moral case" for invading Iraq after UN chief weapons inspector Hans Blix said that NO weapons of mass destruction had been found.

Today Deputy Prime Minister John Prescott brushed aside the concerns of Saturday's marchers saying: "I don't think it is a worry about the lack of support."

Meanwhile European Union leaders were locked in an emergency summit over the Iraq crisis still bitterly divided over what action to take.

France and Germany led the peace camp in pushing for more time for weapons inspectors to do their work in Iraq.

French Foreign Minister Dominique De Villepin remained defiant telling reporters that Britain, Italy and Spain were taking "strictly an American line."

And Belgian Foreign Minister Louis Michel hailed the 10 million anti-war protestors around the world saying: "The best allies of our cause are those people."

Pope John Paul II's special envoy added his voice to those against an attack on Iraq after he returned from meeting Saddam Hussein in Baghdad.

Cardinal Roger Etchegaray said: "Peace is still possible in Iraq and for Iraq. I believe that more strongly than ever before."