Mage's "anti-anti-redbaiting (Re: Re:The thread previously known as 'Lerner presumably'

Nathan Newman nathanne at nathannewman.org
Mon Feb 17 15:45:24 PST 2003

John,

I've made it clear multiple times on this list that my view on the WWP does not reflect the NLG view.

But you went and sent this one message (without the context of the many other messages I've posted) to the NYC Guild President to try to get me in trouble. Talk about suppression of dissent. I am now being told that I should appear before the NYC Exec Committee to justify my views and post before them.

This is what the WWP and their sectarian allies are all about-- suppressing dissenting views wherever they can. It's not the so-called "redbaiters" who endanger free speech; it's rats like you monitoring and reporting people to the ideological purists in the movement. I've already been cited at the national NLG for postings to my personal blog.

You all really are a bunch of secret police reporting back to authorities for proper reeducation of those violating official ideology.

Nathan Newman

----- Original Message ----- From: "John Mage" <jmage at panix.com> To: "lbo-talk" <lbo-talk at lists.panix.com> Sent: Monday, February 17, 2003 6:11 PM Subject: Re:The thread previously known as 'Lerner presumably'

Nathan Newman wrote:

[some crude redbaiting, ending as follows]

> That too many progressive groups wait for pressure from more

> moderate forces to exclude the WWP is to their discredit. The WWP

> should be excluded from rallies not because they attack other

> groups politics but because their own politics are so henious. I

> wouldn't care if the KKK was against the war on Iraq; I'd want them

> excluded from the platform as well.

> Nathan Newman Vice President, NYC National Lawyers Guild Former

> National Vice President (Note my views do not reflect those of the

> NLG national leadership)

To clear up the implication (by what we lawyers call "negativa pregnans") that these views DO reflect those of the NYC NLG leadership, the President of the NYC Guild chapter has asked me to post here the following: --------- The New York City chapter of the National Lawyers Guild wishes to assure the readers of this email list that the comments posted earlier by Nathan Newman in no way reflect the political position of the NLG, NYC chapter. Nathan's comments are entirely his own. The NLG, NYC chapter is an endorser of the United for Peace and Justice coalition. Dana Biberman, president of the NYC NLG chapter --------- john mage