The thread previously known as 'Lerner presumably'

Max B. Sawicky sawicky at bellatlantic.net
Mon Feb 17 19:49:04 PST 2003

FWIW, I noticed Nathan's sig and thought it odd since he doesn't usually sign that way, but I didn't take it to mean anything about the NLG, national or NYC. I would ordinarily doubt any off the cuff statement would represent any NLG body, least of all one from the rugged individualist NN.

mbs

This implies*, that while his views do not reflect those of the NLG national leadership they _do_ reflect those of the NYC NLG leadership - expecially given that he had identified himself as "Nathan Newman Vice President, NYC National Lawyers Guild."

Upset were that to be the case, I forwarded the post as signed in the fashion set out above to the President of the NYC NLG and inquired if that implication were correct. I am very glad it is not.

john mage

*at least since 1311, during the reign of the great gay Edward II (_Thurmeton_ v. _Pouterel_ 63 Selden Soc. 216 at p.220). To spell it out, by qualifying a negative ("...do not reflect those of the NLG _national leadership_") to limit it to one of several possibilities makes the negative "pregnant" with the affirmation of the excluded option.