Brief Report on Detroit

Diane Monaco dmonaco at pop3.utoledo.edu
Tue Feb 18 12:06:10 PST 2003

Jessica, thanks for your comments and I quite agree with you. There have been lots of problems building diverse movements in the past -- I think that's what I was trying to say with all my "coalition" stuff. But there now appears to me to be evidence that groups in general are seeing the potential power in some kind of consolidation. I mean, can there be anything else for us these days? I saw diversity at the rally including among African American groups -- peace/justice, labor, anti-racism, AND religious -- as their placards indicated. In fact, it was a group of black women with signs to end oppression and racism who so kindly helped me with a little one who walked smack dab into a street sign. But surely we need lots more coalition building. Thanks again.

Diane