strange optimism

Michael Pollak mpollak at panix.com
Tue Feb 18 12:36:23 PST 2003

The futures trading company http://Tradesports.com has a Saddam contract. Oddly, as of today, the odds among people willing to bet are 2 to 1 that Saddam will still be in power at the end of March. By the end of May, the odds are 2 to 1 he'll be gone, and by the end of June 3 to 1 that he'll be gone.

Frankly those are better odds than I would given, and I've always been the most optimistic guy I know on this subject.

Maybe it's because these contracts amalgamate the most optimistic (war avoided) and the most pessimistic (war drags on a long time) scenarios together, along with factoring in the odds of war delayed. Still if there is anything to DD's idea that when people lay down money they think more clearly about odds, this market is predicting remarkably high odds of something going not the administration's way.

Michael