Boring Lefties

Doug Henwood dhenwood at panix.com
Tue Feb 18 14:35:33 PST 2003

loupaulsen at attbi.com wrote:

>Yeah, Doug, I saw "Falling Down" too, but you know what? We've got cubicles
>in my office, mostly occupied by women I might add, and even the men are
>hipper than this, and this is not some particularly trendy hangout I assure
>you. And what is this 'spare tire' business? A little 'fat-baiting' here?

I know there's nothing subtle about Matt's style. This is a guy who pied NYT bureau chief Michael Wines in the face with a concoction whose principle ingredient was horse semen. But let me try to put the point in more sober, less offensive language. There are a lot of people in middle America who feel alienated and trapped. They're deep in debt and have little pleasure in their lives. But instead of hating the pig system, sometimes they identify with the empire and get a charge out of bombing our "enemies." Nothing Norman Solomon could write would ever reach people like this. And don't tell me they don't exist.

Doug