Boring Lefties

budge budge at el-pleasant.org
Tue Feb 18 15:37:02 PST 2003

On Tue, 18 Feb 2003 at 5:35pm Doug Henwood wrote:

> There are a lot of people in middle America who feel
> alienated and trapped. They're deep in debt and have
> little pleasure in their lives. But instead of hating the
> pig system, sometimes they identify with the empire and
> get a charge out of bombing our "enemies." Nothing Norman
> Solomon could write would ever reach people like this. And
> don't tell me they don't exist.

Of course they exist, they are the people I listen to on AM radio everyday. You can call it false consciousness or whatever you like, but they like Rush and Sean Hannity and nothing Normon Solomon says to insult Dilbert will ever matter on iota to them.

And let be tag along on Justin's post -- I too have stopped reading Z, in fact, the idea of even picking it up in a bookstore an leafing through it fills me with dread. The Progressive is a little better, but not much. (I used to sub to both, now I don't read either.) They are fucking boring. And as he says, (many at) The Nation are so busy defending dumbocrats that they'll slash anybody else left or right. (Besides Alterboy & Co, I'm remembering the snotty little poem Trillin published bashing Nader after 2000).

-- no Onan