Turkey and Saudi Arabia are both saying that no troops without UN authorization

Nathan Newman nathanne at nathannewman.org
Tue Feb 18 15:28:11 PST 2003

----- Original Message ----- From: "soil ride" <solrde at msn.com
>My apocalyptic prediction:

Jesus C-----!

Can't anyone on the left ever accept the idea of the possibility of winning a round?

Are folks just so completely wedded to the romance of defeat?

Sure Bush may try something and he may even pull his war out of the dumpster, but his options have narrowed because of global organizing by left and popular forces worldwide.

His popularity is falling and that of his global allies in Spain, Australia, Britain and Italy have plunged. People in the US are actively make fun of his "orange alerts", thereby diminishing his power to use the "terrorist threat" card to revive his fortunes. He's gone to that well once too often.

But I return to my amazement that folks seem wedded to the impossibility of victory.

There is a pathology of hopelessness on the left that I think is rooted in the comfort that the impossibility of victory means that no compromises must ever be made, since it won't make any difference anyways.

-- Nathan