Turkey and Saudi Arabia are both saying that no troops without UN authori...

soil ride solrde at msn.com
Tue Feb 18 17:00:10 PST 2003

Dorene, As far as the "anti-war" movement is concerned, this is small enough-but of course it is deeper than this. Suppose let's say that war becomes a reality-well then the anti-war movement is in a position where others who are critical will point out that it has "failed"-that the movement itself did not stop the war, and therefore all such anti-war sentiment is rendered useless.

If war breaks out, then of course many things will change, and immediately the change must start with what would be "left" of the the anti-war movement-and I am not excluding those who feel that there will be anti-war sentiment during the duration of the war-[we can look at other wars such as Vietnam] however-the very dynamics of the movement must change. It is here that the "anti-war" stance comes into question. If we are anti-war what should we replace it with?

The time-especially now, is to change the consciousness of just being an "anti-" activist, and begin to struggle for what must always exist: peace and of course how do we get to that point. How do we begin to fight for peace? Of course how can we understand this-if we do not understand how wars in this day and age are fought and driven by [capitalism and imperialism]. The point then, is how best can we relate to others that the struggle for peace is the same as the struggle against capitalism and imperialism.

As far as what the world should do with Saddam-I don't believe its really up to the world. The Iraqis and the nation as a whole have the right to determine the state of their own affairs-and if an imperialist invasion does happen, I feel that Iraq and the Iraqi people have the right to defend itself against oppression.

Yours, Joshua

"In the world through which I travel, I am endlessly creating myself." -Frantz Fanon

----- Original Message ----- From: <DoreneFC at aol.com> To: <lbo-talk at lists.panix.com> Sent: Tuesday, February 18, 2003 7:29 PM Subject: Re: Turkey and Saudi Arabia are both saying that no troops without UN authori...

> I think the antiwar side is thinking too small in a different way.
>
> I would mind getting rid of Saddam.
>
> I do not want Saddam Light or occupation by the US military.
>
> I would not mind in the least if a spirit of nonviolence sweeping the
Mideast