Vanishing Marxism on LBO-talk

budge budge at el-pleasant.org
Tue Feb 18 19:50:01 PST 2003

On Tue, 18 Feb 2003 at 6:39pm Carrol Cox wrote:

> For political purposes, one needs to understand the
> fundamental dynamic of capitalism (as Yoshie has been
> explaining). That does require constant "redoing" of Marx
> such as you find in Gramsci or Lukacs or Harvey, but for
> the most part that is making new what we already know but
> which we need to grasp afresh.

The thing I find most amusing about this religion known as 'Marxism', is that on the one hand its adherents claim their hero was a scientist, but on the other there is this cult of personality that reveres the Great Prophet Marx.[1]

Real scientists don't talk like this. No physicist talks about "redoing Newton" or "redoing Einstein" from time to time to keep physics fresh. Physicists (rightly) respect the work of great physicists before them, but nobody talks about Newton or Einstein or Feinman having the last word the way these religious 'Marxists' do.

But do carry on, it is highly entertaining.

-- no Onan

[1] from what i know of Marx, I think he would puke at this treatment.