win without war

kelley the-squeeze at pulpculture.org
Thu Feb 20 06:20:19 PST 2003

i still haven't figured out who it was that i was listening to on NPR the other night. i caught while in the car, so missed the intro, was distracted by driving, and talking with the kids. the guy who was on had been an activist in the 60s while at seminary, IIRC. was talking about how he and others like him were marginalized as radicals in that environment. i'm going to call the station today to find out, just to satisfy my curiosity.

at any rate, he was on the show representing Win Without War which, as I said yesterday, is probably going to be the big 'winner' in this war you guys are having over who is actually going to win "hearts and minds." heh.

http://discover.npr.org/features/feature.jhtml?wfId=1166885 (notice their rhetoric here. we're mainstream, those other groups are fringe weirdos. unfortunately, that's going to work. they're not necessarily describing folks as reds, just weirdos.) let the slashing begin. weeeeeeee.

win without war's Janeane Garofalo was also on CNN last night. both fox and cnn covered them. had to cover them and had to talk about them as "not kooks" :) and, to that end, they legitimated this group, even as they tried to discredit them. http://www.winwithoutwarus.org/

they are also spearheading the campaign to fax/email/phone in your protest on Feb 26th. (GW I broke out on 2/23, a Monday, right?) and, they're behind the big media push of celebrities. www.moveon.org

Win Without War has taken advantage of some massively huge organizations. whatever you think of those organizations and whatever you think of WWWs message, they have resources and infrastructure that can be mobilized rather effectively. they know how to run PR campaigns.

i'm not saying that is what the left should be doing. what i am saying is that this is new territory folks.

the reason why it intrigues me is akin to something, i think, carrol said yesterday. basically, people begin where they are, and in the course of struggle, their views become more radicalized. or, at least, they can.

kelley