Ramsey Clark & the right to counsel

andie nachgeborenen andie_nachgeborenen at yahoo.com
Thu Feb 20 08:42:59 PST 2003

--- loupaulsen at attbi.com wrote:
> Doug wrote:
> > [Whatever credibility Ramsey Clark had - and it
> wasn't much - is now
> > thoroughly shot. Sure everyone needs a lawyer, but
> these guys?
>
> Can you spell out your reasoning a bit? "Everyone
> needs a lawyer, but these
> guys really don't deserve one"?

I think Doug's thought was that they deserved a more credible lawyer than RC. I don't know if RC is a good trial lawyer or not. Even a good trial lawyer generally can't beat a well-laid indictment strongly supported by evidence. I've seen it happen twice, maybe three times, two of which involved only partial acquittals.

Or should they have
> gotten a court-appointed
> lawyer who would sleep through the trial?

As someone who just served as a court-appointed lawyer (on a habeas matter), where I think we did a bang-up job, putting in hundreds of hours and doing firtst-rate work, I think this slur on appointed lawyers is inappropriate. Many lawyers, appointed or otherwise, are lousy -- like many people in most professions. The Federal Public Defenders do yeoperson's work and are often really super, much better than private atty's that people pay for.

jks