Ramsey Clark & the right to counsel

loupaulsen at attbi.com loupaulsen at attbi.com
Thu Feb 20 08:22:26 PST 2003

Doug wrote:
> [Whatever credibility Ramsey Clark had - and it wasn't much - is now
> thoroughly shot. Sure everyone needs a lawyer, but these guys?

Can you spell out your reasoning a bit? "Everyone needs a lawyer, but these guys really don't deserve one"? Or should they have gotten a court-appointed lawyer who would sleep through the trial? Did they deserve a trial at all? Please tell the lawyers on this list who else they should not defend on pain of losing all credibility. This reminds me of how some people talked about Johnnie Cochrane.

I don't know what things are like in Arusha, but here in Illinois they sometimes try and convict the wrong people even in high-profile cases.

Should they have had a lawyer at the extradition phase, or is it self- evidently correct that if a UN tribunal wants someone they should get him/her without question?

> Or is
> there some subtle anti-imperialist struggle that I'm missing here?]

There's US/UK vs. France, of course, but that's interimperialist and I suppose you know about that.

LP