Bina on Iraq

andie nachgeborenen andie_nachgeborenen at yahoo.com
Thu Feb 20 11:22:04 PST 2003

I gave a somewhat richer account that I summed up in those more abstract terms. Let me restate: the power point is the example-setting issue, the expression of the Rumsfeld doctrine that we're Boss Hog and gonna stay that way, THIS is what happens if you don't kowtow. The oil issue is as I stated,a matter of profits for the US oil industry and Bush's pals, on one hand, and leverage over Europe and Japan, onm the other. The bases issue is the need for a stable land-based US presence in the Middle East at the intersection of three continents, in ana area loadedw ith a vital resource and on the key shipping lanes through Suez, and very volatile.

Thos rather reductionistically asked, what the US's PRIMARY motive, and I am tempted to say, why thing there is just one? But if I had to say, I'd say oil, as described. The Rummy doctrine doesn't explain why _Iraq_ as opposed to (say) Sierra Leone. The bases thing could probably be more easily and cheaply achieved without war and its risks. So, oil is primary.

jks