Ramsey Clark & the right to counsel

loupaulsen at attbi.com loupaulsen at attbi.com
Thu Feb 20 12:05:37 PST 2003

> How would you have felt if Clark had volunteered to defend Pinochet?
> Similar principles would be at stake - the validity of the
> international jurisdiction, etc. Regardless, it would stink to high
> heaven. This stinks more and higher.
>
> Doug

Doug, RC is not a Marxist and he doesn't act as a Marxist in these matters. He acts like a genuine liberal who thinks everyone should have a lawyer and everyone's legal rights should be scrupulously respected. I wouldn't rule out his defending Pinochet against being tried outside of Chile. There have been left arguments made to the effect that this is a bad precedent, and the next thing you know they can do the same thing with Fidel or Hugo Chavez or Arafat.

In any case, how do you come to the conclusion that this one guy is WORSE THAN PINOCHET??

LP