Ramsey Clark & the right to counsel

Doug Henwood dhenwood at panix.com
Thu Feb 20 12:40:50 PST 2003

Jim Farmelant wrote:

>OK Doug, explain what would be wrong with Clark choosing
>to defend Pinochet, if he so decided? In fact, I know of
>a number of people, who were by no means sympathetic
>towards Pinochet, who found the circumstances of his
>arrest in the UK to be very troubling. After all, presumably,
>somebody like Fidel Castro could be arrested on grounds
>similar to the ones that were invoked against Pinochet.

Yeah, I've heard that argument too. There are also innocent people who get convicted of crimes and get sent to prison. Does that mean there shouldn't be any prosecutors or jails?

And if Clark did take Pinochet's case, I'd think he was scum for doing so, regardless of any Higher Principle involved.

Doug