lbo-talk-digest V1 #7459

Quenby Alclaire flagrant_sake at yahoo.com
Fri Feb 21 00:05:00 PST 2003

"It would be a mistake to identify the United State with the Pax Americana itself. Now, one of the significant differences between these two "empires" is in direct versus indirect conduct of their affairs. When I speak of conduction the affairs, one should attribute to voluntarism. This goes back to the characteristics of these two historical systems. Why the naked force of colonialism could not be effective? Because it was no longer historically acceptable. Why the "middle ground" system of Pax Americana went out business (roughly between mid- to late 1970s)? Because of the unintended forces of globalization (I do not mean corporate globalization). With the system gone, speaking of hegemony is rubbish."

so....anyone know what he is talking about? apparently some system went out of business in the seventies......were the client state relationships structurally different in the seventies than now?

~M.E.