Ramsey Clark & the right to counsel

Jim Farmelant farmelantj at juno.com
Fri Feb 21 06:06:07 PST 2003

On Thu, 20 Feb 2003 22:55:26 -0800 Michael Pugliese <debsian at pacbell.net> writes:
> Pinochet - even if belatedly arrived at - than in a social-democrat
> renegade sepoy or in a Trotskyist worm!"

A typically overwrought statement by the former(?) London spokesman for the PCP, and yet, not totally lacking in truth, since to the extent that Pinochet challenged the legitimacy of the British and Spanish judiciaries to charge and prosecute him for crimes that he committed as head of state in Chile, he was indeed, acting in defense of the sovereignty of Latin American states, against European and American imperialism, and so in that limited sense was acting as a "patriot" and an "anti-imperialist." That of course is not to deny that social democrats and even "Trotskyist worm" can also be good patriots and anti-imperialists, nor is to deny, that after all is said and done, that Pinochet was and is pond scum.

Jim F.

________________________________________________________________ Sign Up for Juno Platinum Internet Access Today Only $9.95 per month! Visit www.juno.com