What's the ACLU, then, chopped liver? (Was Re: Liberals Re: Ramsey Clark)

Nathan Newman nathanne at nathannewman.org
Fri Feb 21 07:35:44 PST 2003

----- Original Message ----- From: "andie nachgeborenen" <andie_nachgeborenen at yahoo.com>

-You flatter me, Yoshie, but there is this outfit I -belong to and for which I work as a cooperating atty -called the ACLU which is full of liberals who defend -civil liberties in time of crisis. It's almsot -certainly much larger than all the far left group in -America put together. The ACLU didn't do so good in -the first Cold War period (late 40s, early 50s), but -it's done fine since. jks

And it's worth remembering that the ACLU did pretty well in the first Red Scare period during and after World War I when it was first formed. In many ways, the ACLU helped build the ideological view of the First Amendment that we now take for granted.