Michael Hardt & Tariq Ali

Thomas Seay entheogens at yahoo.com
Fri Feb 21 07:36:18 PST 2003

--- Carl Remick <carlremick at hotmail.com> wrote:

> I think this caveat about not trusting nation-states
> or even the UN is a
> straw man. I don't sense that there is any
> particular infatuation with
> nation-states/the UN as noble saviors in the
> anti-war movement at large.

Carl, I agree with you about the importance of stopping this war and that we should be happy about anything that helps to block it.

That said, I think it would be naive to have illusions about the UN (as Tariq Ali pointed out) or particular nation-states (as Hardt did). I guess our difference is that I get a sense that quite a number of people do have those illusions and you dont. I may be wrong...my impressions are based on what I hear from people at work, what I saw and heard being said at the San Francisco rally and some of these polls. So, my impressions are more or less anecdotal.

What makes you think that my assesment is wrong?

-Thomas

> Cheering on the governments of France or Germany,
> say, is wholly a matter of
> expedience. If you want to block a nation-state
> like the US from committing
> an insane act of aggression, you have to work
> through the instrument of
> other nation-states. The anti-globalization
> movement has long-term
> objectives and should rightly be suspicious of the
> grubby motivations that
> invariably drive national leaders. But the anti-war
> movement has one job to
> do -- Block That War -- and it has to do this
> quickly using the only tools
> available for the task, nation-states.
>
> Carl
>
> Carl

===== <<Be like me! The Primal Mother, eternally creative, eternally impelling into life,

eternally drawing satisfaction from the ceaseless flux of phenomena.>>

-Nietzsche, "The Birth of Tragedy"