Michael Hardt & Tariq Ali

Carl Remick carlremick at hotmail.com
Fri Feb 21 07:58:22 PST 2003

>From: Thomas Seay <entheogens at yahoo.com>
>
>--- Carl Remick <carlremick at hotmail.com> wrote:
> >
> > I think this caveat about not trusting nation-states
> > or even the UN is a
> > straw man. I don't sense that there is any
> > particular infatuation with
> > nation-states/the UN as noble saviors in the
> > anti-war movement at large.
>
>Carl, I agree with you about the importance of
>stopping this war and that we should be happy about
>anything
>that helps to block it.
>
>That said, I think it would be naive to have illusions
>about the UN (as Tariq Ali pointed out) or particular
>nation-states (as Hardt did). I guess our difference
>is that I get a sense that quite a number of people
>do have those illusions and you dont. I may be
>wrong...my impressions are based on what I hear from
>people at work, what I saw and heard being said at the
>San Francisco rally and some of these polls. So, my
>impressions are more or less anecdotal.
>
>What makes you think that my assesment is wrong?

Actually, I'll concede you may be right. I just think that any popular delusive notions about the idealistic grandeur of the UN/France/Germany aren't a pressing concern at the moment and can't be dealt with in any event. To worry about these illusions right now is to me like fretting about the water damage you're causing while trying to put out a fire.

Carl

_________________________________________________________________ The new MSN 8: smart spam protection and 2 months FREE* http://join.msn.com/?page=features/junkmail