Rice Protest Idea

kelley the-squeeze at pulpculture.org
Fri Feb 21 11:19:51 PST 2003

At 10:57 AM 2/21/03 -0800, Gar Lipow wrote:

>Y'all do remember that Kelley forwarded the "Rice for Peace" link to this
>list back *before* the Feb 15 protests? Not that it is not a good idea to
>bring it up again.

yah, but 'twas during the Great Abortion Shoot Out Version 189.

>And in terms of sending empty instead of full bags. I think the
>overreaction is a better reason to send the full bags. To the extent that
>the post office and such overreact, it is more effective. If they panic
>every time a bag of rice goes through to mail directed at the President,
>more strain is put on the system. It makes a much more effective "cost
>raising" tactic, than if they ignore it. And they look like panicky fools.
>So yes, send a half cup of rice to the white house.

Yah. I had a couple hundred padded envelopes used for mailing review copies of books. Donated them and the postage to set up a table to sell stamped, addressed packages of rice.

I think clogging up the post office and generating news is a not bad idea. As a woman in PR once told me, bad news is news. Full Stop.

Folks who aren't inclined to be on our side will just use such incidents to bolster feelings they already have toward the stupid peaceniks. They're not the target anyway.

Others, though, may get more news of ways people are making their voices heard that don't involve mass demos. I work so many hours a week and have family obligations that I sympathize with folks who find it hard to find time for even five hours a week, as Carrol suggests. I once had more time, as a young mommy, part-time worker, and college student. But divorce was also a consequence, too. (Not that I wouldn't do it all over again. I'm much happier now!) Even so, I always have plenty of sympathy for people's very real fears of the antagonisms their activities might engender in their homes.

There was another incident re: rice. A woman in Idaho I think mailed oatmeal in a baggie and tied it with a wire twist tie. The PO thought it was C4 and wire! I think she was a Mennonite. heh.