Rice Protest Idea

Gar Lipow lipowg at sprintmail.com
Fri Feb 21 23:17:31 PST 2003

On: Fri, 21 Feb 2003 16:20:46: Carrol Cox <cbcox at ilstu.edu> went nuclear again

Quoted me

> Gar Lipow wrote:
>
>> To the extent>> that the post office and such overreact, it is more effective. If they >> panic every time a bag of rice goes through to mail directed at the
>> President, more strain is put on the system.

He replied

> FUCK ALL. THIS IS INTOLERABLE. It's hard enough working in the post
> office with the fucking bastards that they have as managers without some
> idiotic leftist confusing the mass of postal workers with "the system."
>
> Carrol Cox

Kelley, who apparently know how to read pointed out (in response to another poster (who I suspect saw only your quotation rather than the whole post):

> gar is pointing out is that it's the post office that is over-reacting.
> this protest has been going on for a month now. exactly two incidents have
> been reported, so far as I can tell from a google news search. Rather than
> cow-towing to idiotic over-reactions by being polite, continue on as planned.
>
> the result will not likely be anger on the part of workers, no more the
> stress put on the system in NY and SF, or for commuters in NY and Seattle
> recently. For pity's sake, your and carrol's experiment in methane
> respiration are failig badly. Here's an example of how the system overloads
> itself when people overreact:
>
> In Tampa two bank clerks doing a foreclosure inspection reported a cache of
> longarms and hand grenades. They told the cops about suspected explosives.
>
> The response? Tampa police showed up with a SWAT team in full gear,
> evacuated 17 homes, and planted snipers in yards. They shouted at the
> occupant with a bull horn trying to get him to come out.
>
> Problem was, he wasn't even home. This went on for six hours before they
> figured it out.
>
> One cop was reported as saying, "we have better things to do with our
> time." He sounded just as exasperated as the cops at NYC's demo sounded
> according to some reports: frustrated with the orders handed down to them
> by superiors. Frustrated b/c he knows that the hype surrounding readiness
> is a crock. What someone last year called Nerf=Based Security (riffing on
> the title of a book my boss wrote.

I will add to this that in the discussion of the Holland tunnel CD Carrol you took the opposite point of view - that actions which do not directly inconvenience a single a capitalist and greatrly inconvenience the workers can be effective because of indirect affects. And in this case, as Kelley points out, inconience is not caused by sending the rice, but by overreaction to it. Lot's of rice goes through without anyone saying boo.

Carrol I want one of two things from you.

If you decide you regret your explosion, I want an apology.

If not , if you think you were justified, then I want you to put me in your bozo filter, as one of the people whose posts you don't read. Please do one or the other. I don't ever want to deal with you in this mode again.