Rice Protest Idea

kelley the-squeeze at pulpculture.org
Sat Feb 22 09:32:54 PST 2003

oooooo. they postal workers are sooooooo upset over this:

"The solution? "Padded envelopes," said Russ Racine, Chapel Hill postmaster. "People should use padded envelopes and make sure they have a return address."

At 11:54 AM 2/22/03 -0500, Doug Henwood wrote:

>Your point is valid.

only on the possibility that it's too "private". which is nonsense because the press is actually covering the story locally.

no one wants to make the lives of postal workers miserable unless you really think handling extra packages of rice mailed to the whitehouse is making them miserable. it's not like postal workers across the country are burdened with trudging through rain, sleet, and snow loaded down with packages of rice to millions of individual locations.

gar's point needs to be amplified: carrol didn't bother the read the thread, just like he didn't bother to read the thread about newspapers. it isn't that carrol is a bastard, it's that carrol doesn't bother to give people he disagrees with the decency of reading their arguments, let alone reading them in the best possible light. for someone who sits on archemedes point, lecturing everyone else about principled discourse, this is amusing.

gar was responding to people who brought up _one_ incident where a post office had to deal with crap b/c someone decided a package addressed to the president was suspicious. he responded to say that he didn't think that was a good reason not to support to rice protest because the issue wasn't the massive overload caused by increased traffic but because the issue was that the people making decisions about security issues are the ones overreacting.

> Running a publication, I have a lot of dealings with the postal service,
> and they do a fine job under often dreadful conditions and in the face of
> public hostility.

and some of us even have relatives who are postal workers!

sorry to overpost, but i'm sick to death of what goes on all the time and is onlly noticed when "bad language" enters the picture.

kelley