A silent protest on the basketball court

Carl Remick carlremick at hotmail.com
Sat Feb 22 11:49:36 PST 2003

>From: kelley <the-squeeze at pulpculture.org>
>
>i think supportive letters to this young woman, her friend, and her school
>are in order

I couldn't agree more -- just emailed the following:

----- Original Message ----- From: "Carl Remick" To: <president at mville.edu> Sent: Saturday, February 22, 2003 2:39 PM Subject: My commendations for student Toni Smith

Richard A. Berman President, Manhattanville College

Dear Mr. Berman:

I was tremendously moved and impressed to learn of Manhattanville senior Toni Smith's courageous public stand against the growing, gross inequities of American society, and I applaud you for (as the media have reported) providing Ms. Smith emotional support and affirming her right to make her views known.

I am particularly gratified that a young adult of such strong moral sense is also so eloquent. I have never seen a more powerful statement of principle than the one Ms. Smith is reported to have offered in defense of her refusal to salute the flag: "For some time now, the inequalities that are embedded into the American system have bothered me. As they are becoming progressively worse and it is clear that the government's priorities are not on bettering the quality of life for all of its people, but rather on expanding its own power, I cannot, in good conscience, salute the flag."

In the current, deteriorated state of U.S. politics and society, national prospects seem very bleak. But to know that the coming generation includes people with the values and bravery of Ms. Smith does give reason for optimism.

Please convey my best wishes to Ms. Smith for success in whatever she does.

Sincerely,

Carl Remick Huntington, New York

_________________________________________________________________ Add photos to your e-mail with MSN 8. Get 2 months FREE*. http://join.msn.com/?page=features/featuredemail