"America on Trial" - convicted in UK

Chris Burford cburford at gn.apc.org
Sat Feb 22 12:44:05 PST 2003

Remarkable television this evening in London.

Motion carried 56% to 44% in a representative audience selected by National Opinion Polls, with Richard Perle speaking for the defence.

Passionate debate.

A (presumably non-voting) contingent of the audience were some 20-30 Americans flown over from St Louis. US opponents of the Bush administration made spirited contributions and were were roundly applauded. At the end other Americans were shocked by the result. "I feel I have come over here to be insulted" said one.

The gap is very considerable. Objectively it marks the fact that Britain no longer has the might to be an imperialist hegemon. It is still imperialist, but the population are very uneasy about any international actions that do not have the semblance of international law. Nevertheless to get a majority vote in favour of a proposition to declare the US guilty allegedly beyond reasonable doubt of "thinly disguised imperialism" is a tectonic shift

Channel 4 staged a debate on the proposition that

"America's strike-first foreign policy is thinly disguised imperialism, which is likely to fuel a new arms race

[etc , I could not catch the rest but it was strong and I cannot get the video to work. ]

http://www.channel4.com/news/2003/special_reports/america_trial.html

Channel 4 introductory notes

>Jon Snow chairs a studio debate as part of channel 4's commitment to
>providing alternative voices and opinions in its coverage of the Iraq crisis.
>
>Are the United States about to destroy the balance of international
>relations forever, putting us all at risk to secure its own interests?
>
>Or is President Bush the only leader bold and responsible enough to carry
>out the world's dirty work and remove the threat of Saddam Hussein for
>once and for all?
>
>Post September 11, the US now believes that pre-emptive action against a
>perceived threat can be used as justification for an unprovoked war. But
>what are their real motives?
>
>And, after Iraq, where does Bush venture next? Are we about to witness a
>new age of American imperialism?
>
>The US stance and its readiness to take unilateral action have grave
>implications for the future role and authority of the United Nations.
>
>And, as her closest ally, what are the consequences for us here in the UK?
>
>America on Trial challenges the position of the United States as they
>embark on a new era in foreign policy.
>
>America on Trial broadcasts on Channel 4 on Saturday 22nd Feb 2003 at 6.45pm

Chris Burford

London