Put an End to "Anti-Americanism" Re: Michael Hardt

Yoshie Furuhashi furuhashi.1 at osu.edu
Sat Feb 22 14:08:08 PST 2003

At 1:38 PM -0800 2/22/03, Ian Murray wrote:
>the term USA can be unbundled

Global protests against the war are not against the USA but against the USG. Those who are doing the illegitimate bundling are those who demagogically call such protests "Anti-American."

At 1:38 PM -0800 2/22/03, Ian Murray wrote:
>It is indeed an open question as to whether capitalism is a
>signifier capable of elucidating and explaining the motivations of
>agents in the political economy.

"The motivations of agents" are only secondary or tertiary problems to consider, if they are problems at all. The primary question is the nature of the mode of production. Workers are exploited not because this or that capitalist has a bad motive. The same goes for imperialism. For all we know, Bush & Co. -- as well as most other imperialists, past and present -- may have admirable motives in their own minds. -- Yoshie