Put an End to "Anti-Americanism" Re: Michael Hardt

Ian Murray seamus2001 at attbi.com
Mon Feb 24 09:29:55 PST 2003

----- Original Message ----- From: "Yoshie Furuhashi" <furuhashi.1 at osu.edu>

> Global protests against the war are not against the USA but against
> the USG. Those who are doing the illegitimate bundling are those who
> demagogically call such protests "Anti-American."

=================

If you've ever listened to Michael Hardt speak, you'd know he is constitutionally incapable of being demagogic, nor is he a big fan of adversarial, belligerent communication dynamics. But you've felt the need to go ballistic on a harmless piece of rhetorical flourish. Mmmm perhaps a reflexivity alert regarding the use of "demagocially" is in order, I mean chaos.

> "The motivations of agents" are only secondary or tertiary problems
> to consider, if they are problems at all. The primary question is
> the nature of the mode of production. Workers are exploited not
> because this or that capitalist has a bad motive. The same goes for
> imperialism. For all we know, Bush & Co. -- as well as most other
> imperialists, past and present -- may have admirable motives in their
> own minds.

That's right, motivations and agency[ies] are non-problems, that's why millions were in the streets a few days ago, expressing an irreducible plurality of messages regarding the USA's hegemony in the political-economy-ecology. Pity they aren't all Marxist Leninists eh? As for the primary question I think I read something like what you're saying at:

http://www.sillyneoleninistboilerplate.com

Ian