Put an End to "Anti-Americanism" Re: Michael Hardt

Yoshie Furuhashi furuhashi.1 at osu.edu
Sun Feb 23 00:45:25 PST 2003

>Quoting Yoshie Furuhashi <furuhashi.1 at osu.edu>:
>
>> According to your argument (such as it is), pretty soon, we will have
>> no term for any complex phenomenon, like capitalism. In any case, it
>> explains nothing about Hardt's preference for the empty term
>> "Anti-Americanism."
>
>Exactly how is anti-americanism an empty term? Surely (like anti-intellectual)
>it involves using America as a blanket condemnation without needing to pose a
>relevant argument to explain what it means or how it might be at fault?
>
>Catherine

Who in the global waves of protests against the war on Iraq -- the subject of Hardt's article -- was actually being "Anti-American" in the sense of condemning "America" -- the entire country -- in a blanket fashion without explaining "what it means or how it might be at fault"? Peoples in the world -- including Americans -- were protesting _the USG_ -- rather than all Americans -- for planning an illegal and immoral preventive war and/or their own national government for joining the USG in the planning. The aim of the protests couldn't have been clearer. By calling them "Anti-American" demagogically, Hardt is engaging in libel and slander. -- Yoshie