Isms and other matters

Yoshie Furuhashi furuhashi.1 at osu.edu
Sun Feb 23 07:22:47 PST 2003

At 1:06 AM +1100 2/24/03, Catherine Driscoll wrote:
> > Explain to us (A) what you think Marxist theory has to say about
>> labor, commodity, exploitation, state, non-state institutions, etc.,
>> and (B) what specific changes you think you need to make in Marxist
>> theory to explain IP better.
>
>god, yoshie, for someone who only ever quotes other people, you sure
>expect a lot in order to make a point (the one for some reason
>you've cut and pasted to the bottom of the post. However, yeah, I'll
>give it a go if you really don't know what Marxist theory has to say
>abnout these things... but not, if I'm to be answerable, at 1am in
>the morning. I'll get to it asap.

I have no idea what you think Marxist theory is. If spelling out (A) and (B) in your own words takes too much time, you might cite representative sources that in your opinion adequately sum up (A) and (B).

At 1:06 AM +1100 2/24/03, Catherine Driscoll wrote:
> > IP is one of the most prominent examples of dramatic changes in
>> production in recent decades. You might do (A) and (B) with regard
>> to any other significant changes in production or social reproduction
>> in recent history. Those calling for changes in Marxist theory, like
>> yourself, might explain just what specific changes they think they
>> want.
>
>OK, I'll give you some more specific IP egs if you want, but I had
>thought that's what I was sketching out in the last post. How come
>you don't have to write an essay on the topic of how Marxist theory
>-- is that instantiated in Marx alone Yoshie, I think you'll have to
>clarify that for me before I can answer the task -- is utterly
>sufficient to contemporary IP?

Marxist theory (Marx + the Marxist tradition) is spare, elegant, and flexible, and I don't see any necessity to make fundamental changes in what it has to say about the essence of capitalism in order to explain the causes and effects of its recent development. I'm simply asking what specific theoretical changes you think you need to make. Otherwise, the conversation ends here, as I have no clue what changes you have in your mind. -- Yoshie