Isms and other matters

Catherine Driscoll catherine.driscoll at arts.usyd.edu.au
Sun Feb 23 15:06:11 PST 2003

Quoting Carrol Cox <cbcox at ilstu.edu>:

> > > OK, I'll give you some more specific IP egs if you want, but I had
> thought
> > that's what I was sketching out in the last post. How come you don't have
> > write an essay on the topic of how Marxist theory -- is that instantiated
> in
> > Marx alone Yoshie, I think you'll have to clarify that for me before I
> can
> > answer the task -- is utterly sufficient to contemporary IP?
> >

> If you want a theory I guess you will have to sit down in a library and
> work one out. Then go out and find some followers to spread the theory.
> Incidentally, when you get the theory, what are you going to do with it.
> Myself, I'm not very interested in explaining marxist theory to anyone.
> It's a tool. I try to do things with it. If you don't find it a useful
> tool, use some other tool.

Carroll, I never said I wanted *a* theory, Yoshie did. I also thus obviously never said I wanted Marxism to be that theory -- Yoshie sent me IP as a testcase for her claims that Marxism was a sufficient theory for all social situations without any modifications counter to my claims that all theories need to be tested for their usefulness to a particular case and will not be useful if they remain unchallenged and unchangeable. I know you've got this whole tag team thing going on with Yoshie, and I think that's cool, and even kind of nice, but it gets confusing when you accuse me of making Yoshie's moves. Catherine

------------------------------------------------- This mail sent through IMP at ArtsIT: http://admin.arts.usyd.edu.au/horde/imp/