Rove and Wolfowitz's role

Michael Pollak mpollak at panix.com
Sun Feb 23 10:57:14 PST 2003

Date: Sun, 23 Feb 2003 13:29:58 -0500 From: Doug Henwood <dhenwood at panix.com> Reply-To: lbo-talk at lists.panix.com To: lbo-talk at lists.panix.com Subject: Re: Rove and Wolfowitz's role

On Sun, 23 Feb 2003, Chris Burford posted a Guardian article by Ed Vulliamy that said in part:

> In 1992, just before Bush's father was defeated by Bill Clinton,
> Wolfowitz wrote a blueprint to 'set the nation's direction for the next
> century', which is now the foreign policy of George W. Bush [e]ntitled
> 'Defence Planning Guidance.'

<snip>

> In a document two years ago, the Project pondered that what was needed
> to assure US global power was 'some catastrophic and catalysing event,
> like a new Pearl Harbor'. The document had noted that 'while the
> unresolved conflict with Iraq provides immediate justification' for
> intervention, 'the need for a substantial American force presence in the
> Gulf transcends the issue of the regime of Saddam Hussein'.

Okay, the first document I've heard about many times. It is clearly of central importance may even be available on the net. But does anyone know anything about the second document? I hate it when the Guardian hangs such an arresting point on such an absurdly blank cite.

Mainly what I'd like to know is whether this was a passing speculation in a document mainly about something else, or whether, as suggested here, it formed part of a document specifically addressing scenarios under which the 1992 "Defense Planning Guidance" strategy could be successfully introduced.

Michael