Palestinian Exiles' Right of Return -- Feasibility

Yoshie Furuhashi furuhashi.1 at osu.edu
Sun Feb 23 13:01:48 PST 2003

>Bryan Atinsky wrote:
>
>>But this doesn't mean that one should
>>stop questioning publically, the morality/oxymoron status/long
>>term-practicality of having a Jewish Democratic State.
>
>How live an issue is this within Israel? Is it only a lunatic fringe
>that questions the notion of a Jewish state, or is it broader than
>that?
>
>Doug

* In Israel:

Ittijah: Union of Arab Community Based Organizations, "Internally Displaced": <http://www.ittijah.org/inside/displaced.html>

The Association for the Defense of the Rights of Internally Displaced Persons in Israel: <http://www.ittijah.org/member/interndisplaced.html>

Iqrith Heritage Society: <http://www.ittijah.org/member/iqrit.html>

Gush Shalom ("Recognizing in principle the Right of Return of the Palestinian refugees, allowing each refugee to choose freely between compensation and repatriation to Palestine and Israel, and fixing by mutual agreement the number of refugees who will be able to return to Israel in annual quotas, without undermining the foundations of Israel"): <http://www.gush-shalom.org/english/intro.html>

Cf. Uri Avneri, "The Right of Return": <http://www.mediamonitors.net/uri3.html>

HADASH: The Democratic Front for Peace and Equality (DFPE) ("A just solution to the problem of the Palestinian refugees will be secured in accordance with the UN resolutions [which recognize their right to choose between return to their homeland or to receive compensation] and in the framework of the negotiations"): <http://www.hadash.org.il/english/>

* In the Occupied Territories: Badil Resource Center for Palestinian Rights: <http://www.badil.org/>

* Land Day:

"Palestinian Land Day in the Context of The Al-Aqsa Intifada and Israel's New Military Campaign": <http://www.badil.org/Press/2002/press237-02.htm>

"On the Occasion of the Land Day: Statement by Palestinian Community Organizations in Palestine and the Diaspora": <http://www.badil.org/Refugees/Documents/2001/6-01.htm>

***** Friday, 30 March, 2001, 04:51 GMT 05:51 UK Remembering Land Day

The Har Homa settlement project sparked Palestinian land protests Land Day is the day when Israeli Arabs hold demonstrations to mark the loss of their land to Israel in 1948.

It is held on 30 March in commemoration of six Arabs killed by Israeli security forces in 1976 during mass protests against the farm confiscations in the Galilee.

The area confiscated was about 5,000 acres of Arab-owned land between the Arab villages of Sakhnin and Arrabe.

These areas were classified by the Israeli Government as "closed military zones" and were later heavily developed for housing for Jewish Israelis.

Local Israeli Arab leaders called for a general strike and protests. At the end of the day, six people were dead and 100 injured.

'Spirit lives on'

Today at the entrance to the cemetery in Sakhnin, there is a monument with the inscriptions in Hebrew and English reading simply: "In memory of those who fell on Land Day."

The Arabic reads: "They died so that we can live, and their spirit lives on."

"Every day I pass near the statue, the scene of the killing comes to mind," one resident of Sakhnin told Reuters news agency.

"You cannot imagine how much this feeling hurts."...

In October last year, two of its residents were shot dead by Israeli police after they joined demonstrations showing solidarity with the Palestinian uprising, or intifada....

Land Day is also an act of protest at what some Israeli Arabs describe as a kind of apartheid.

<http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/world/middle_east/1250290.stm> *****

In the USA:

***** The Right of Return is supported by Amnesty International, the Episcopal Church (USA), and over 1,100 US religious leaders.

<http://www.searchforjustice.org/media.html> *****

* On the other hand, the problem of the Zionist Left...:

***** The Fear of Inundation

From the desk of Reuven Kaminer Jerusalem, January 7, 2001

A number of prominent figures in the Israeli peace movement, many of them prominent leaders in MERETZ and Peace Now, published an appeal to the Palestinian leadership on January 2, 2001. These leaders of the Zionist left considered it urgent to stress that "we shall never be able to agree to the return of the refugees to within the borders of Israel, for the meaning of such a return would be the elimination of the state of Israel." Furthermore, they declared in the same vein that "the massive return of the Palestinian refugees to Israel would conflict with the right to self-determination of the Jewish people." (Ha'aretz, January 2, 2001)....

<http://www.hadash.org.il/about_us/box/shiva.htm> ***** -- Yoshie