Rove and Wolfowitz's role

Carl Remick carlremick at hotmail.com
Mon Feb 24 08:51:56 PST 2003

>From: Brad Mayer <bradley.mayer at sun.com>
>
>Here's my quick 'structural' take, in schematic:
>
>1) US is confronted with biggest crisis in political economy (in reality,
>not in the
>academy!) since the Great Depression;
>2) Ruling class 'norm' paralyzed in face of this crisis - it doesn't know
>what to do
>(look at Dems and most of Repubs, look at Greenspan, etc);...

I think in a certain sense the Iraqi crisis *does* come out of the "guts of capital." Those guts have churning with distress for a while now.

After all, decades of deregulation ultimately did not usher in a "New Economy" of enduring capitalist bliss for the masses; they merely brought back the catastrophic boom/bust dynamic of olden times. Capital could no longer deliver on the dreams it had been peddling to the masses since at least Reagan. At some level, capital realized that it had to change the channel, that it had to stop appealing to "economic man" -- who was getting increasingly testy about the collapse of his 401(k) -- and instead appeal to good old-fashioned "patriotic man," who isn't concerned with grubby details like the state of his retirement savings and wants to bomb Iraqis not investment bankers.

The Iraqi crisis is basically a deliverance for capital.

Carl

_________________________________________________________________ Help STOP SPAM with the new MSN 8 and get 2 months FREE* http://join.msn.com/?page=features/junkmail