Repress Yourself

RE earnest at tallynet.com
Tue Feb 25 07:07:40 PST 2003

Whatever plausibility this research has pivots on an unspecified distinction: it addresses discrete traumatic events, like a heart attack or assault. This is very different from traumatic events that an individual responds to in a way that broadly shapes their attitude towards themselves and others, or "character." It's problems associated with the latter that psychotherapy usually tries to address.

FWIW, there's also some research that argues a repressive style, as manifested in the "worried well" contributes to a variety of somatic problems, including hypertension, heart ailments, GI problems.

Press accounts of psychotherapy are usually slapdash, and at its best it draws on psychotherapy outcome research that itself is often very questionable, e.g. patient populations are lumped together, symptoms are defined in a biased way, there's no long-term followup, etc. Part of the problem lies with the fact that psychoanalysis dawdled around in studying itself, and let other schools -- which operationalize therapeutic outcomes more superficially -- frame the debate. Randy

<http://www.nytimes.com/2003/02/23/magazine/23REPRESSION.html?ei=1&en=739bba d2e455f1af&ex=1047089975&pagewanted=print&position=top>