I'm a revolutionary but workers make me choke on my own vomit

Wojtek Sokolowski sokol at jhu.edu
Mon Feb 24 10:19:28 PST 2003

Steven:

> Greed is a morally superior motive to racism? Must you
> always leap to the
> defense of the investor class, even on such flimsy pretexts?

I think you misrepresent my position by calling economic rationality "greed." I think my argument is quite in line with that of Marx, who argued that "economic rationality" (with all its negative social consequences) will bring an end to old social relations based on superstition and prejudice. I am far from "defending" the investor class - I am merely pointing to the fact that their economic rationality will have similar effect on the US bigotry to that of the "British rule in India" on the indigenous feudal relations (as the Old Man used to argue).

To be honest, much of the antiglobalization talk in this country and in Europe is thinly veiled bigotry and racism by the pampered white Bubbas who loose "their" jobs to dark-skinned people overseas and whine about it. I do not see why any self-respecting progressive should fight the undenibale progress that globalization (with all its flaws) brings to the workers in underdeveloped countries of Asia, Africa, or Latin America to defend the white Bubba's "right" to a good job in the US. At least if the Bubbas were a progressive force... - but they are not. They racist bigots looking for scape goats and responsible for putting the most reactionary politicians in offices. They are the anti-thesis of anything progressive, they will sooner join a militia, a lynching mob, or Nazi-like "brown shrits" before they even consider supporting anything smacking of progressivism, let alone internationalism. I am regularly exposed to the racist spewings of this human excrement in suburban MD and central PA - anyone who thinks that this element will give their support to anything even remotely progressive should have his head examined.

>From an internationalist point of view - US pettit bourgeoisie is the
class enemy of progress, and if that class and their economic basis is undercut by the investor class, this is a good thing. Besides, globalization has litle impact on the service economy and its crappy jobs where most of the dark-skinned people in this country (and Europe) end up - so they have no interest in fighting the globalizing ambitions of the investro class, but they have every reason fight racist bigotry of the downwardly mobile white Bubbas.

Wojtek