Ramsey Clark Fights For Peace

Reed Tryte reed_tryte at yahoo.com
Tue Feb 25 01:42:00 PST 2003

<LouPaulsen at attbi.com> wrote:

>From: "Doug Henwood" <dhenwood at panix.com>
>
>>>Saddam later met Ramsey Clark, a former US attorney
>>>general who has been an opponent of a US-led war
>>>against Iraq. INA said that during the talks Saddam
>>>saluted anti-war protesters who have staged mass
>>>rallies across the world.
>>

>>This is fucking idiotic and destructive. Would
>>one of you Clark apologists explain how this
>>serves the cause of peace?
>
>What IS your point? Would Hans Blix be a bad man
>if he met with Saddam Hussein? Would Colin Powell
>be a worse man if he met with Saddam Hussein?
>Then why is Ramsey Clark a bad man if he meets with
>Saddam Hussein?
>
>I bet you wouldn't have acted that way about someone
>who met with Bill Clinton.
>
>lp

Personally, I would say exactly the same thing about someone who met with Bill Clinton if it were in exactly analogous circumstances -- that is, if a country 1000X as powerful as the US were about to invade, and Bill Clinton had been set up as their demon of the week, and Ramsey Clark played some sort of visible roll in that imaginary country's peace movement. Absolutely.

I'm 100% with Doug on this. The only thing that would change my mind is if Clark had a damn good reason he had to meet NOW with Saddam Hussein, AND he publicly announces what it is, AND while announcing it he emphasizes his disdain for Hussein. Otherwise he is at best vainglorious, at worst something truly unpleasant.

Help, I'm starting to sympathize with Christopher Hitchens. Someone please make this feeling go away.