Ramsey Clark Fights For Peace

Dennis Perrin dperrin at comcast.net
Tue Feb 25 05:16:15 PST 2003

Reed Tryte:

> I'm 100% with Doug on this. The only thing that would
> change my mind is if Clark had a damn good reason he
> had to meet NOW with Saddam Hussein, AND he publicly
> announces what it is, AND while announcing it he
> emphasizes his disdain for Hussein. Otherwise he is at
> best vainglorious, at worst something truly
> unpleasant.

As much as I despise Clark and his pals at IAC/WWP, etc, he's really small potatoes at this point. I mean, for him to sit down with Saddam is nothing new, and he's never really (so far as I've seen) criticized the former US asset in tones strong enough to resonate here. But that's Clark. An old fool.

> Help, I'm starting to sympathize with Christopher
> Hitchens. Someone please make this feeling go away.

Just remember that Hitch truly believes that this war is about Kurdish democracy and general Iraqi freedom. We're seeing how that's, um, a bit down the list at the moment. Even the gung ho Andrew Sullivan, who's been panting for months for war, recently mumbled that, hey, maybe this isn't about "democracy" after all. Andy's starting to scratch his head in confusion. That's a good sign.

DP