poor white Republicans

Wojtek Sokolowski sokol at jhu.edu
Tue Feb 25 15:06:27 PST 2003

Martin:
> Would 'fear' (as a reason) satisfy your question?

It certainly crossed my mind. But then the question is, what are these people afraid of? My initial reaction would be that social isolation created by suburbanization produce alienation, that that produces fear, but the Germans, Serbs or, for that matter Poles or Russians engaging in pogroms, were not socially isolated - in fact they formed thightly knit communities. Can it be government propaganda? But then why do some people buy it and others do not? Go figure.

I also kindly appreciate people sharing their personal stories to throw some light on this question. A personal reflection is worth a thousand citations.

Wojtek