Re: Lula in the shadow of Chávez

Ian Murray seamus2001 at attbi.com
Tue Feb 25 19:58:33 PST 2003

----- Original Message ----- From: "Alexandre Fenelon" <afenelon at zaz.com.br>

Remember, these are the type of people who once thought that selling dog food over the internet was a brilliant business strategy, and that by 2010 Qualcomm would be able to sell two mobile phones a year to everyone in the northern hemisphere. If such people cannot be appeased, or if they panic for no particular reason, then everything goes down the drain. Lula becomes a failure and Brazil loses another decade as its economy sinks into a depression of uncertain length and suffers inflation of uncertain magnitude.

-He forgets to mention that the cost of appeasament is usually an increase -in interest rates, so in will make the favorable scenario unfeasible. The -markets aren´t so irrational. They know Brazil has fairly high risk of -default.

Cokeheads with computers who think selling dog food over the internet is/was a brilliant business strategy cannot be appeased, period. Nor can they be reasoned with regarding the ecological-technological-governance problems of 21st century societies striving to create and deepen democratic norms of communication, organization etc.

>.
Perhaps this assurance of broad international support made it prudent - or at least less imprudent - to appease the financial markets first. It is not at all clear that the Bush administration and today's IMF can offer similar support. So Lula's odds do not look particularly high. But they still look better than the odds attached to any alternative political-economic strategy - and certainly than anything being offered by khaki-clad would-be commandantés.

-Translation. We´re fucked whatever policy we follow. That´s the point I -agree with Mr. De Long...

He further forgets to mention that any alternative political-economic strategy will attempted to be crushed by his ideological compatriots at the New American Century Foundation/CIA/Pentagon etc....if they can get away with it.

Ian