RES: Lula in the shadow of Chávez

Doug Henwood dhenwood at panix.com
Wed Feb 26 06:19:45 PST 2003

Alexandre Fenelon wrote:

>Once investors see that Brazil's fiscal policy is sustainable, and they see
>continued low interest rates in the industrial core, Brazil will look more
>attractive. Foreign direct investment will flow in, bringing more access to
>world-class technology and further boosting economic growth.
>
>-The old cry of neoliberals who ruined our country! We received unprecedent
>-levels of foreign investment in the last 8 years, to reach a GNP growth
>-near 2,5% an year (less than 1,5% in three of the last 4 years)

Yeah this sounds like pretty typical stuff: let's get the economy growing then we'll address all the social problems. Wasn't the Clinton admin supposed to do all kinds of wonderful things once they got the budget in shape too? Just never works out that way. What it takes to get the economy "in shape" - austerity - undermines the social agenda, and the ideological boost given to orthodoxy when a left party adopts it is political death. The "someday" when we can afford all those good things is perpetually deferred.

Doug