RES: RES: Lula in the shadow of Chávez

Alexandre Fenelon afenelon at zaz.com.br
Wed Feb 26 18:22:37 PST 2003

-----Mensagem original----- De: owner-lbo-talk at lists.panix.com [mailto:owner-lbo-talk at lists.panix.com]Em nome de Doug Henwood Enviada em: quarta-feira, 26 de fevereiro de 2003 11:20 Para: lbo-talk at lists.panix.com Assunto: Re: RES: Lula in the shadow of Chávez

Yeah this sounds like pretty typical stuff: let's get the economy growing then we'll address all the social problems. Wasn't the Clinton admin supposed to do all kinds of wonderful things once they got the budget in shape too? Just never works out that way. What it takes to get the economy "in shape" - austerity - undermines the social agenda, and the ideological boost given to orthodoxy when a left party adopts it is political death. The "someday" when we can afford all those good things is perpetually deferred.

Doug

-What we have here is even worse. At least you economy was growing. -Here we are lectured that economic growth itself is to be postponed -until we make the (free market) "reforms". Those reforms, however, -cripple the economy and we are nunable to have economic growth. -That´s a catch 22 situation....and now our president bought that -obscene 4% "primary" surplus.

Alexandre