Shock And Yawn

Dennis Perrin dperrin at comcast.net
Wed Feb 26 10:34:34 PST 2003

> I don't know where you get this stuff, Dennis.
>
> Seth

Chomsky:

"Well we could easily go on..but all of that..first of all indicates to us what's happening. Looks like what's happening is some sort of silent genocide. It also gives a good deal of insight into the elite culture, the culture that we are part of. It indicates that whatever, what will happen we don't know, but plans are being made and programs implemented on the assumption that they may lead to the death of several million people in the next few months..very casually with no comment, no particular thought about it, that's just kind of normal, here and in a good part of Europe."

<http://www.zmag.org/GlobalWatch/chomskymit.htm>

"These unreported appeals happened to coincide with World Food Day, which was also ignored, along with the charge by the UN Special Rapporteur that the rich and powerful easily have the means, though not the will, to overcome the 'silent genocide' of mass starvation in much of the world."

<http://www.zmag.org/lakdawalalec.htm>

" 'There will be no famine in Afghanistan this winter,' said Catherine Bertini, executive director of the United Nations' World Food Programme, which trucks the food aid into Afghanistan. 'There will be deaths, because the country was in a pre-famine condition this summer before the war started. But it will be isolated, and not large-scale.'

"She said the WFP moved 90,000 tons of wheat into the country during December, probably the largest monthly total in the history of the agency. In the previous three months, 75,000 tons were delivered."

<http://www.washingtonpost.com/ac2/wp-dyn/A42858-2001Dec30?launguage=printer

DP