Jude Wanniski: War Is Off

andie nachgeborenen andie_nachgeborenen at yahoo.com
Wed Feb 26 12:17:11 PST 2003

But he can hardly talk for five
> minutes without
> bringing up the need to return to the gold standard.
>
> Doug

Precious metals to preserve our vital bodily fluids? Isn't talk of the need to return to the gold standard a virtually certain indicium of being a crank? That sade, Jude's got a lot of interesting things to say. I am sorry to say I think he;s wronga bout this one, though. he's righta bout all the reasons, but he underestimates the sheer inertia that carries action through even when all rational grounds are against it. The Chekovian rifle, having been put on stage in the first scene, will have to fire in the third. jks