sex & Islam

joanna bujes joanna.bujes at sun.com
Thu Feb 27 09:21:51 PST 2003

At 02:59 AM 02/27/2003 -0500, you wrote:
>53 percent of those surveyed in Western nations express
>some degree of tolerance for homosexuality, compared to
>just 12 percent of those surveyed in Islamic societies.
>While 82 percent of those in the West support gender
>equality, 60 percent are tolerant toward divorce, and 48
>percent express tolerance for abortion, the corresponding
>levels in the Muslim world are just 55 percent, 35 percent,
>and 25 percent, respectively

I'm not sure about the homosexuality thing. I think there are different cultural perceptions at work here. From what I understand, homosexuality in Islamic societies happens in tandem with heterosexuality: "Women for babies, men for pleasure." A man who opted for an exclusively homosexual relationship would be looked down upon for failing to do his part as a head-of-family man.... So, in this respect, contrasting western and non-western views of homosexuality doesn't quite work.

Anyway, just a thought.

Joanna